WordPress Medic Episode 1
It’s episode #1 and my special guest on this show is Dustin Hartzler from http://yourwebsiteengineer.com/ with some great tips on your WordPress site, I’ll be talking about hosting as an important aspect of your wordpress website as well as a discussion about doing your upgrade to the latest WordPress Core 3.5… It’s all coming your way next on WordPress Medic Podcast
So if you're listening to this we have survived the end of time and started a new Mayan Calendar….
WordPress Medic Podcast Can also be found at WPPluginsAtoZ.com
WordPress Medic Podcast can be found on Stitcher Radio Click here to Download app or listen online Now.
WordPress Medic Podcast can be found on the iTunes Store here.
John’s Rant: What to rant about?
Join me on WordPress Plugins from A to Z Podcast find it at http://WPPluginsAtoZ.com where my co host Marcus Couch and myself discuss WordPress Plugins. .
Also since I love to rant about lots of things have lots opinions instead of making this a platform for that I have another show called Kritter Escapes at http://KritterEscapes.com
Dont forget to head over to Social media camp Victoria @ http://socialmediacamp.ca/ and support me by commenting on my posts as linked below or even retweet them as it is a contest.
Listener Feedback / Audio Clips / Interviews
Would you like to be part of this show? Head over to http://WPMedic.ca and leave a speak pipe or a question and I’ll Feature you here also if you would like to be on the show just let me know and we an arrange to get you on it.
This week I have Special guest Dustin Hartzler from http://yourwebsiteengineer.com/ with some tips and info to help you out…
World of WordPress News and other interesting WordPress related posts:
WordPress Hosting and upgrading the core files.
Discussion about what WordPress hosting is:
- choosing the right host remember unlimited is not unlimited, look for the real limits READ THOSE TOS — I recently helped a client with a website at Site 5 who has an arbitrary limit for what they call resource points— I mean WTF is that????
- find a hosting company that offers great support in at least 2 ways preferable is live chat, then ticket and phone is best if you can get it. — With multiple options you will always get the support you need when you need it.
- choose cpanel hosting if at all possible since it is easier to setup and manage your website. — Many cPanel providers have simple one click install scripts for WordPress which makes the installation easy plus they have an optional auto update of the core but be careful of that see the next part of this article.
- find a company that does not oversell their hosting and places WordPress Hosting at the top. — What does this mean well all hosting you get for 41495 a month or less will be shared hosting — this means you share the server with upwards of thousands of other websites.. Think of a freeway if you ever travelled on at 2am you know you can go top speed but if you have ever travelled one at 5pm you know you might be moving at 10mph — same idea on a web server more means slower delivery.
- I research several hosting companies recently and have found two that do not seem to oversell their servers and provide great service as well as cPanel hosting so if you need hosting check these guys out:
Discussion about doing WordPress Core Update
- How soon after core drop should you upgrade? Upgrading WordPress is a painless process 98% of the time and goes perfectly smoothly but that 2% well if you happen to be there and I often am so your odd are better.. Well you will end up either going backwards, spending time troubleshooting or hiring someone like me to fix it for you.
- Why you should wait a week or two? — if you wait a week or two all the prominent plugin authors will get their plugins updated and this is usually where 99% of all upgrade issues stem from and that is plugins that have glitches in them.
- The benefits of upgrading. — You get great new features like the new media manager in WordPress — the 2012 responsive theme to help you create a simple but elegant website.
- The downside of upgrading — you lose features you might have become used to such as the link manager, yes not too many folks know about or use it anymore but I do have a few clients who do. So we will have to install a plugin to activate it for them and then work to migrate them off it.
- and you will have to eventually upgrade — why well simply because security flaws are always present and if you leave an out of date WordPress website up you are asking to get hacked….. Just ask Rueters about what happened to them when they did not upgrade
Just some reminders:
What’s coming in future podcasts:
How to Contact me:
John can be contacted at:
- on my website @ http://www.johnoverall.com/
- WordPress Emergency Support http://wppro.ca/wpemergency
- Twitter http://wppro.ca/twitter
- Facebook at http://wppro.ca/facebook
- email: email@example.com